Monday, October 28, 2013

"Promises" by Student Jesslenia Chhin

One of my students at Oakland's Merritt College, Jesslenia Chhin, wrote this poem.

PROMISES

“WHAT YOU SAY? DON’T MAKE ME CUT YA TONGUE!” Mama yelled.
“STOP! CHASING THEM BOYS, THEY AIN’T DOING YOU NO GOOD!” Mama yelled.
“READ YOUR BOOKS AND GET STRAIGHT As!” Mama said.
Mama said, “I won’t quit on you.”

“WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?” Mama asked.
“I DON’T WANNA HEAR IT!” Mama yelled.
“If you don’t graduate, I’ll be disappointed,” Mama said.
Mama said, “I won’t hurt you.”

“WHY HAVEN’T YOU STARTED YOUR PERIOD?” Mama asked.
“WHY DO YOU POSE LIKE THAT?” Mama asked.
“THOSE AREN’T YOUR FRIENDS,” Mama said.
Mama said, “I won’t leave you.”

“STOP! ACTING BLACK! ” Mama yelled.
“GET OUT AND DON’T COME BACK!” Mama yelled.
“I’m sorry,” Mama said.
Mama said, “I won’t do it again.”

“YOU’RE A LIAR!” Mama yelled.
“DON’T TALK TO ME LIKE THAT!” Mama yelled.
“I’M NOT ONE OF YOUR FRIENDS!” Mama yelled.
Mama said, “I’m sick and tired.”

“I’m moving,” Mama says.
“I’m tired of this place,” Mama said.
“I’ll call you - when I get there,” Mama said.
Mama said, “I’ll be back.”

No comments:

Post a Comment